Our Journey Towards Carbon Minimised Printing
Further to our commitment to environmentally responsible practices, the Bright Print Group commissioned the then Carbon Planet to conduct an independent greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and Level One energy audit of our business for the period 1/7/06 to 30/6/07. These audits were necessary to provide a benchmark for the reduction of our carbon emissions going forward and to help us prepare a strategy for future operations.
The audit covered all aspects of our business including:
- Equipment (printing presses, computers, bindery equipment)
- Utilities (electricity, internet, mobile & fixed telecommunications, waste)
- Employee Services (staff hours per year)
- Ground transport (delivery and representative services)
- Other Services (couriers, postage, advertising and cleaning)
Carbon Planet identified the key steps involved in any GHG emission reduction strategy. They were and still remain:
- Measure (understand the key emission sources)
- Manage (prevent and reduce whatever is practicable)
- Minimise (offset the remainder)
Our aim at Bright Print Group continues to be one of managing our carbon emissions through better production practices, and resource minimisation. This is an ongoing process which involves continual monitoring, education and benchmarking.
What are some of the practical steps we are doing to reduce our emissions?
- All T8 fluorescent tubes underwent a systematic replacement with T5 tubes which - a saving of 6630 kWh per year.
- All halogen downlights turned off during the day relying on natural light - a saving of 1403 kWh per year.
- Replaced mercury vapour high intensity discharge (HID) lights with Powerboss Eluma 4x55W flouro lights - a saving of 59,119 kWh per year.
- Save 1 hour per week of lighting - ie. turn off before cleaners, turn off during day, zone lighting - a saving of 2721 kWh per year.
- Installation of timer devices on all hot water boil units - a saving of 4205 kWh per year
- Use of recycled paper for all stationery and marketing material
- Select energy efficient machinery and devices where possible
- Buy local products where available
- Opt for green friendly products
- Avoid excess packaging
- Avoid the purchase of disposable products
- Re-use packaging where practical
- Recycle all rubbish/waste where possible
If you would like more information...